Sunday, June 15, 2008

Prominent Contemporary US Economists

I'm very interested in the history of science, both natural sciences and social sciences. I also consider understand important current events an integral part of understanding history as it unfolds. Therefore, now that the official course is over, I'll take some time on this blog to learn about contemporary economists, their backgrounds and their approaches.

I heard so many economists' names mentioned during the class and I constantly see more in the news on a daily basis. I rarely know who's a supply-sider, who's from the "Chicago School" or who's involved with a liberal think tank. So I'll try to categorize the biographies without, hopefully, unfairly pigeon-holing anyone.

I'm including:
Policymakers
Academic economists
Major banking officials

I'm not sure of the best way to structure these entries, so I'll just start jotting things down and hope I can make sense of them in the end.

Board Governors of Federal Reserve System
Ben S. Bernanke (chairman)
Donald L. Kohn (vice chairman)
Kevin M. Warsh
Randall S. Kroszner
Frederic S. Mishkin

There are two vacant positions on the board. President Bush nominated Elizabeth Duke and Larry Klane to fill those positions in 2007, but the Senate has not held confirmation hearings to confirm them.

Randall S. Kroszner's term expired on January 31st, 2008, but he continues to serve on the Board until he is either reconfirmed or a successor is named.

Frederic S. Mishkin recently (May 28th, 2008?) resigned his position, effective August 31st, 2008. Related articles:
MarketWatch
TheBulletin

No comments: